Welcome Back!

User Name
Password
Not Registered?

Tell us a little about yourself.

My child’s birthday is (for newsletter customization):

Enter an email address:

This is where your newsletters will be delivered to and where GreatDad.com will contact you with your new account information.

father's forum

A place to discuss, learn and share ideas, thoughts and solutions.
Latest Posts

Nike shose
Posts: 1 Views: 20

Copiare borse omega
Posts: 2 Views: 21

Moncler Stivali
Posts: 1 Views: 17

Scarpe Burberry Mens
Posts: 3 Views: 21

Presa di pandora
Posts: 2 Views: 17

hi mom!

Would you like to share this site with your husband or a friend?

Just enter his email address and your name below and we'll let him know all about GreatDad.com.

His email address
Your Name

Guide for Dads: Reading Material Other than Books

Paul Banas
Author Paul Banas
Submitted 20-03-2008

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can’t read them. – Mark Twain


 


Books are not the only thing that can be read aloud. The world today is flooded with print, from newspapers and magazines to restaurant menus to computer and TV screens, from signs on buildings to advertisements on buses to information on boxes, bottles or cans of food.


 


Be spontaneous. Take every opportunity you find to read aloud and to discuss what you have read. Anything with words that captures children’s interest is appropriate for reading aloud. Times when the interest level is high are what educators call “teachable moments”. These are times when children are most receptive to learning.


 


Dad reminder: You can start to read to your kids at ANY age. It’s fun for the kids and dad. It really is a dad duty!


 


The truth of the matter is that about 99 percent of teaching is making the students feel interested in the material. Then the other 1 percent has to do with your methods. - Noam Chomsky


 


- George Jacobs, Ph.D. and Wan Loh Inn, Ed.D.


 


Dr. George Jacobs, Ph.D. and Dr. Wan Loh Inn, Ed.D. are the authors of many books (including “The Read Aloud Guide”, textbooks for teachers and students, curriculum guides, and children’s storybooks).



Find out more about reading aloud to your kids.


 

0 comments