As a father, you have an important role to play in taking care of your baby. Your baby needs you. And mom needs you to share many of the responsibilities of taking care of your new baby. When you do things with your baby, you and your baby get closer. You and your baby form a bond that helps her feel safe and happy.
You may feel nervous around a newborn. Or you may be afraid to touch your baby because you have never done it before. The best way for you to get over the uneasiness is to hold your baby.
Here are some things you can do to be a part of your baby’s life. Think its Father’s Day and perform the following activities, you will find that the more you do with her, the more comfortable you will be in handling the child.
- Hold and cuddle your baby.
- Smile and laugh with your baby.
- Talk to your baby. Your baby will quickly learn your voice and know that you are her daddy.
- Change your baby’s diapers.
- Cuddle with mom and your baby during breastfeeding.
- When mom’s breast milk or formula has been put in a bottle, you can give your baby the bottle. Cuddle with and talk and sing to your baby during bottle time.
- Take your baby for a walk. Babies love the sights and sounds of the outdoors.
- Play with your baby.
Note: For info on sex after delivery, subscribe now to the GreatDad newsletter for new dads.