The year 2007 is over. When it comes to baby names, some names lost favor with parents this past year, while others gained in popularity. Here are some of the naming trends that were observed:
- Emma seems to have been pushed out of its reigning position as the most popular girls’ name since 2004! Sophia, which gained slowly through 2002, and made it to the 10 most popular names of 2005, is now in the number one position.
- Addison rose by 20 places to occupy a place in the top 10 popular names for girls. Dr. Addison Montgomery-Shepherd, played by Kate Walsh on the popular TV series Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice, may have something to do with it.
- Some other new names such as Adriana, Alana, Callie, Kaelyn, Lila, Maria, Reagan, Sadie, and Sienna, made it to the list of girls’ top 100 names this year.
- When it comes to boys’ names, Aiden remains in the top position it has held since 2005. Jayden, Caden, and Jackson are the new names to have made it to the category of top 10 boys’ names. New boys’ names in the top ten list include Adrian, Cody, Colton, Jeremiah, Nolan, and Oliver.
- On the other hand, names such as Rebecca, Adam, Robert, and Nathaniel went down in popularity.