There is a lot of talk about lead in the news. Here are some questions you should ask yourself. If you answer yes to any of them, you should dig deeper to learn more about how to control the risk of lead poisoning:
- Does your child like to put things in his or her mouth?
- Does your home have peeling paint?
- Was your home built before 1978?
- Does your child play in the dirt near your home?
- Do you live near an industrial facility, especially anything related to treatment of iron ore or steel?
- Do any neighboring families have instances of lead poisoning (if your child plays in their homes)?
- Do you or anyone in your family work with lead (jewelry makers, stain glass, plumbers, x-ray, auto mechanics)?
- Does your child go to a daycare facility built before 1978?
– Paul Banas