While they may not carry the baby in their wombs, most dads are keen to be as involved as possible with the new addition to the family. One way they can do this is to accompany their partners during their medical checkups.
These are some of the benefits you gain by accompanying your spouse to the obstetrician:
- It will make your spouse feel better. Always remember that she’s making a huge sacrifice that we guys would never want to make. The least you can do is make time for a few appointments so she feels you are in the game with her.
- For the average guy, pregnancy is one big mystery. Going along to meet the doctor will give you the opportunity to ask questions and clarify your doubts.
- It will help you understand your partner’s state. Visiting her doctor will also enable you to update yourself on your baby’s progress.
- Unlike your spouse, who is bringing up the baby inside her, you may not feel equally excited about the pregnancy. Being able to see the baby’s ultrasound image and hearing those tiny heartbeats will help you connect to your unborn baby.
- As the pregnancy advances, the obstetrician will play an increasingly important role in your life as a couple. It is important that you establish a rapport with the doctor and the other hospital staff so that you are more comfortable in dealing with them later when you need to do so. You don’t want to be meeting the obstetrician for the first time when your baby is being born.
- Bring a video recorder or a camera phone and with your finger clearly over the lens the entire time, record the first sounds of your baby’s heartbeat. This may come in handy later on if you ever find time to make a birth video.