In addition to reading aloud to children from books written by other people, dads and children can also make their own books.
Why children should make their own books
It is not difficult for children to make their own books, with a bit of help from dads. But first, let us look at why it is a good idea for children to add to their own home libraries by creating some books of their own.
Here is a short list of the advantages of children creating their own books.
- The books children make fit their current level of language ability, because the words come from the children themselves
- The books fit children’s interests, because the topics come from the children themselves
- Children increase the number of books they have for reading aloud and also, perhaps, silent reading
- Children learn a little about the writing process and appreciate it more
- Children increase their confidence in writing
- When dads help children create their own books, they now have one more enjoyable activity to share with them
Dad reminder: You can start to read to your kids at ANY age. It’s fun for the kids and dad. It really is a dad duty!
– George Jacobs, Ph.D. and Wan Loh Inn, Ed.D.
Dr. George Jacobs, Ph.D. and Dr. Wan Loh Inn, Ed.D. are the authors of many books (including “The Read Aloud Guide”, textbooks for teachers and students, curriculum guides, and children’s storybooks).
Find out more about reading aloud to your kids.