Welcome Back!

User Name
Not Registered?

Tell us a little about yourself.

My child’s birthday is (for newsletter customization):

Enter an email address:

This is where your newsletters will be delivered to and where GreatDad.com will contact you with your new account information.

Being with sick kids

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  roozie 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

hi, My little boy Teddy is recovering from leukemia. Children who are sick require their parent’s company much more than other kids do. My wife and i therefore made sure that there was always one parent around him whenever he needed us.

There are somethings you can do to help a sick child feel more comfortable:
    1) Always remind the child that he will get better – that the illness is a temporary phase. Small children especially have a fuzzy sense of time. Always reminding them that they are going to be better helps them to understand their illness, cope better with pain and look forward to getting better.

2) Talk of things he can do once he is better. Talk about the happy things the child can do when he is better – also use the phrase this “when you are better” rather than “if you get well”.

3) Help the child find interesting things to do. Books, toys, music, games, will help the child take his mind off his pain.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.