I had a chance to take a look at Logitech’s new social media camera the Bemo made to be used in conjunction with iOS devices Generation 4 and above. This tiny camera comes in several colors and is super-cute. It’s main (only?) purpose is to take quick movies to upload to social networks. Why not use your phone you say? This is one of those cases where a phone works well but the Bemo is more fun because it’s simple and only does one thing. Sometimes, you don’t want to open the phone, find the app, upload, etc. With the Bemo, you have it in your hand, or using the clip, attached to your clothes, and you just take the movie. In a free moment, you upload the video via the BEMO app to Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram, or share via the Share button in iOS to Message, Mail, iCloud, iMovie or other installed apps. The Bemo is for a special target of the social-media obsessed and you know who you are and if this is the camera you’ve been waiting for.
For dads, this may have a value for creating quick videos of all important firsts like first steps, first bath and all the rest. Since it only does one thing with only an on-off switch and record button, you can leave it on the kitchen counter and take video at a split-second notice.
What I liked:
1. Love the neck lanyard! I don’t understand why more little cameras don’t come with lanyards, though I’m sure it’s because designers hate their looks. After throwing a camera into a river last year, I will gladly sacrifice cool for a piece of string.
2. Nice, small, cute package. Make no mistake, this is a “girly” camera, but I love the red color if you’re going to get one.
3. Includes 4GB micro-SD card for 3 hours of HD video with an 8MP scratch-resistent lens.
4. Time lapse and regular video.
What I didn’t
1. $129 – seems steep for a movie camera that lacks lots of other controls. This is an impulse buy for those with extra cash and a social media jones.
2. “Spatter-resistant” but not waterproof. This is not a camera for the beach or pool
Logitech Bemo Social Camera – $129 available in red, black and blue
GreatDad.com Review Policy: The featured product for this review was provided to us, at no cost, by the manufacturer or representing PR agency for the sole purpose of product testing. We do not accept monetary compensation for reviewing or writing about products. We only review products that we have personally tested and used in our own homes, and all opinions expressed are our own.