How has your own upbringing and the baggage passed on from previous generations influenced your parenting style? How do societal expectations and pressures shape your approach to parenting?
Join us on this empowering episode as Sheryl Stoller shares valuable insights and practical tools for parents to enhance their parenting journey and create a harmonious family environment.
In this episode, you will:
- Learn about the challenges of raising kids together and how to reduce frustration and tension in the household.
- Understand the impact of fear-based reactivity inherited from previous generations and how it affects parenting.
- Explore the concept of rupture and repair as a normal part of life and how it can lead to growth and transformation.
- Discover the Positive Intelligence operating system and how it can help parents establish groundedness, filter emotions, and maintain personal boundaries.
- Gain insights into the importance of teamwork and alignment in parenting, as well as the positive changes it can bring to the household dynamic.
Title: Positive Intelligence with Sheryl Stoller
Hey there, fellow dads! Welcome back to another exciting episode of Great Dad Talks. I’m your host, Paul, and I’m thrilled to dive into today’s enlightening conversation with the incredible Sheryl Stoller. In this episode, we explore the challenges, growth, and transformation that come with parenting, and how we can create a loving, supportive environment for our kids. So, grab your headphones, sit back, and let’s learn from Sheryl’s wisdom!
Understanding the Impact of Generational Baggage:
Sheryl shares her journey and reflections on the influences that shape our parenting styles. She highlights the importance of recognizing the fear inherited from previous generations, which can unknowingly impact our approach to parenting. Sheryl explains:
“I wish I had the knowledge I have now when my kids were young. My parents passed on their baggage and fear-based reactivity to me. It takes time to realize the extent to which this affects our parenting.”
- Reflect on your upbringing and the fears that were instilled in you. Seek to break the cycle and create a more conscious approach to parenting.
- Understand the difference between fear and danger. Learn to respond to challenges with wisdom and reason, rather than reacting out of fear.
The Power of Alignment and Teamwork in Parenting:
Sheryl emphasizes the importance of unity and alignment between parents when raising children. By working together, we can navigate challenges more effectively and ensure a nurturing environment for our little ones. Sheryl explains:
“My husband and I work together to address these issues and understand the importance of alignment in parenting. It’s about facing challenges as a team, and this can lead to growth and transformation.”
- Foster open communication and collaboration with your partner. Approach parenting as a united front, sharing responsibilities and making joint decisions.
- Embrace challenges as opportunities for growth. By facing them together, you can expand your understanding of each other and strengthen your bond.
Positive Intelligence: An Operating System for Life:
Sheryl and her collaborator discuss their work with aligned parents using the Positive Intelligence operating system. This pragmatic approach encompasses various aspects of life, equipping us with tools to navigate challenges step by step. Sheryl highlights:
“Positive Intelligence involves cognitive and bodily aspects, addressing spiritual, emotional, and physical levels. It offers a tactical, pragmatic approach to create profound transformations.”
- Incorporate self-awareness and understanding of your saboteurs (internal critics) into your parenting journey.
- Cultivate groundedness, filter emotions, and establish personal boundaries. This will help you maintain a calm, focused mindset to respond to challenges effectively.
Creating a Safe and Supportive Environment:
Sheryl emphasizes the importance of creating a secure and loving environment where our children feel comfortable and drawn towards us. This enables healthy parent-child interactions and fosters the child’s emotional and social development. Sheryl advises:
“The goal is to create a secure and safe environment where the child is drawn to follow their parent. Prioritize taking care of yourselves and each other, and then address your children’s needs.”
- Take care of your well-being and prioritize self-care. By nurturing yourself, you’ll have the emotional capacity to provide support to your children.
- Build on each other’s strengths and be creative in problem-solving. Foster open dialogue within your family and seek outside expertise when needed.
What a thought-provoking conversation with Sheryl Stoller! It’s incredible to see how reflection and self-improvement can transform our experience as fathers. By addressing generational baggage, fostering alignment with our partners, utilizing tools like Positive Intelligence, and creating a supportive environment for our kids, we can navigate the challenges of parenting with more grace and growth. Remember, fellow dads, we’re in this together!
Tune in to the full episode of Great Dad Talks with Sheryl Stoller to dive deeper into her invaluable insights. And as always, keep up the great work, dads!
About Sheryl Stoller
PCI Certified Parent Coach
Sheryl Stoller is a passionate advocate for effective parenting and a firm believer in the power of teamwork within families. With years of personal experience and professional training, Sheryl offers invaluable insights and guidance to parents all over the world. As a highly sensitive person, Sheryl processes the world with intense depth and has a keen ability to pick up on nonverbal cues. This unique perspective allows her to delve into the intricacies of parent-child dynamics and help families find balance and harmony.