It is essential that your spouse stays fit during her pregnancy. Her health as well as her baby’s depends on it.
Here is a checklist of do’s and don’ts to help your spouse ensure a healthy pregnancy:
- Avoiding cigarettes and alcohol
- Cutting down on caffeine
- Taking medication only after consulting the doctor.
- Eating more; at least 300 extra calories are recommended for women in late pregnancy.
- Having a healthy and well-balanced diet.
- Taking prenatal vitamin supplements as prescribed by her obstetrician.
- Increasing her intake of calcium. This means eating calcium rich foods such as low-fat dairy products, calcium fortified orange juice or soy milk, dark green vegetables, almonds, and tofu.
- Ensuring that she gets the recommended 27 to 30 mg of iron daily. This means eating foods such as red meat, dark poultry, tofu, eggs, salmon, dried beans, dried peas, green leafy vegetables, and iron fortified cereal.
- Ensuring that she gets the recommended amount of 0.4 milligrams of folic acid. She can do this by taking a vitamin supplement or from foods rich in folic acid.
- Drinking adequate water. This is important to prevent problems such as dehydration or constipation.
- Sticking to a daily exercise routine. Up to 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise is recommended for pregnant women.
- Doing prenatal yoga or Pilates to help maintain flexibility.
- Resting adequately and getting good sleep at night.
- Keeping her prenatal appointments regularly.