A good way to teach a baby to drink from a glass would be to introduce a sippy cup. However, for a baby who has been exclusively breast or bottle-feeding, learning to drink from a sippy cup may be a big step forward.
It is important that you accustom your child to accept a sippy cup gently and gradually. With a little time and patience, your baby might actually start enjoying the independence that comes with drinking from a cup. Teaching your baby to drink from a sippy cup is also a first step to introducing solid food.
Follow these steps to wean your baby:
- Start by giving your baby a sippy cup with a spout. One that is made of plastic will be less likely to break if it falls. While many babies are more comfortable with cups that have handles, others prefer them without.
- Fill the cup with a little water. Putting this to your child’s lips, allow a little water to flow into the mouth. Give your baby a little time to swallow this.
- Initially do not try to get your baby to accept more than a few sips at a time.
- Once your baby gets the knack of it, you may introduce other beverages such as milk or fruit juice.
- You may eventually replace your child’s midday feed with a small snack, including a drink from the cup.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.