You are in the middle of a family get together and your youngest suddenly runs out in his birthday suit and tours the room completely oblivious of the occupants. You get embarrassed and think of the countless ways to explain the behavior.
There has been no definitive theoretical explanation for such behavior; but here are some possible reasons.
- Attention seeking: Toddlers are often vain and tend to exhibit themselves to please other family members and gain their affections.
- Wrong Wardrobe: The clothes that you have bought for your toddler may not be too comfortable for him.
- Just Mischief: Toddlers may find it pleasing to irritate you; young ones can be devilish at times. They enjoy the shock factor created by their actions.
- Stop being shocked when you see them strip tease.
- Completely ignore their actions and put clothes back on the toddlers without creating a fuss.
- Shower equal attention on other kids, who are not behaving in this manner. Comment on how good other toddlers look in their ‘special’ outfits.
- Always be expressive with your toddler and talk to them appreciatively about their attires.
- Choose colors and designs that your toddlers like; find their favorite cartoon character or have their own photos embossed on their clothes.
- Persistent and patience on your part may pay off.