Welcome Back!

User Name
Not Registered?

Tell us a little about yourself.

My child’s birthday is (for newsletter customization):

Enter an email address:

This is where your newsletters will be delivered to and where GreatDad.com will contact you with your new account information.

father's forum

A place to discuss, learn and share ideas, thoughts and solutions.
Latest Posts

Vein specialist city centr...
Posts: 1 Views: 53

Vein doctor near me san jo...
Posts: 1 Views: 20

Vein doctor near me housto...
Posts: 1 Views: 17

Vein specialist near me wo...
Posts: 1 Views: 22

Vein treatment near me li
Posts: 1 Views: 25

hi mom!

Would you like to share this site with your husband or a friend?

Just enter his email address and your name below and we'll let him know all about GreatDad.com.

His email address
Your Name

How Serious are Growing Pains and What you Can Do About Them

Paul Banas
Author Paul Banas
Submitted 11-01-2007

Toddlers often start complaining about pains in their legs and knees. Their calf muscles often feel knotted up. This kind of leg pain in children is part of what is called, ‘Growing Pains.’ These pains are part of growing up and occur mostly due to the strenuous activity during daytime.

Other than the above, here are a few more indicators to help you identify growing pains:

  • Pain in muscles not joints.

  • Pain in both legs, in front of the thigh, calf muscles, back of knee.

  • Possible spasm in muscles.

  • Pains waking the child up from sleep.

  • Pains appearing at the end of the day.

  • Lack of fever and other symptoms of sickness.
In all other cases, as in the following, it is advisable to call in your doctor:

  • Swollen joints; inability to swiftly move limbs.

  • Warmth and redness in joints.

  • Pains persisting for more than 24 hours.

  • Sever limb pain causing the child to limp.
Here are some suggestions to ease your toddlers’ pains:

  • Stretch their feet following any complaint of pain.

  • Gently massage their calf muscles.

  • If possible, apply heat to the affected area.

  • Give them Acetaminophen and/or Tylenol.
Disclaimer: The above information is commonsense reflection drawn from general experience. If you are looking for expert medical advice, please consult your doctor.