Welcome Back!

User Name
Not Registered?

Tell us a little about yourself.

My child’s birthday is (for newsletter customization):

Enter an email address:

This is where your newsletters will be delivered to and where GreatDad.com will contact you with your new account information.

father's forum

A place to discuss, learn and share ideas, thoughts and solutions.
Latest Posts

Jasa poles marmer jakarta ...
Posts: 1 Views: 1615

Assignment Writing UK
Posts: 2 Views: 2097

The rebels don't like...
Posts: 1 Views: 1584

Posts: 1 Views: 3012

Looking for Feedback on Su...
Posts: 1 Views: 690

hi mom!

Would you like to share this site with your husband or a friend?

Just enter his email address and your name below and we'll let him know all about GreatDad.com.

His email address
Your Name

Dealing with chloasma, or dark patches on the skin brought on by pregnancy

Author GreatDad Writers
Submitted 21-09-2006

As your spouse’s pregnancy advances, tan-colored spots called chloasma may occur on her face and neck. Chloasma, also known as melasma, is a condition of the skin that is commonly seen in pregnant women. It is characterized by the appearance of dark patches of skin on the forehead, nose, chin, lips, and areas around the neck. Though it is not clear exactly what causes chloasma, it is believed to be the result of hormonal disturbances in the body.


The symptoms of chloasma will generally fade away once your spouse delivers the baby. Until then, here are a few steps she can take to prevent her skin from discoloration:


  • Avoid spending too much time in the sun. This is because exposure to the ultraviolet rays of the sun leads to an increase in the discoloration of the skin.

  • Take adequate protection if she is required to move out during the day. She can use a broad-spectrum sunscreen, wear a hat, and cover herself adequately.

  • Choose cleansers and creams that are gentler on the skin. This will prevent worsening of the symptoms.

Rarely, skin discoloration may also signal a more serious medical problem. If your spouse experiences pain or discomfort, or notices any bleeding or redness along with discoloration of the skin, it is important that she get herself examined by her medical practitioner or a dermatologist.


Disclaimer: The above information is commonsense reflection drawn from general experience. If you are looking for expert medical advice, please consult your doctor.