Burbank, California, October 31, 2008—Practically perfect in every way, the world’s most famous nanny touches down on rooftops everywhere when Mary Poppins: The 45th Anniversary Edition arrives on new 2-disc Special Edition DVD January 27, 2009 from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment.
Dazzling animation, groundbreaking special effects and award-winning music earned Mary Poppins five Academy Awards®, including Best Actress and Best Song. The new two-disc DVD features hours of captivating bonus material, including the all-new “Mary Poppins: From Page to Stage”, a fascinating feature that takes audiences backstage for an exclusive look at the making of the Tony Award winning musical, and “Step in Time,” a never-before-filmed musical number performed by the original Broadway cast—also downloadable as an MP3 audio file. Bonus materials also include the ultimate “behind-the-scenes” movie documentary and reminiscences of the film’s stars and legendary composer Richard Sherman.
With its revolutionary blend of live action and pioneering Disney animation, Mary Poppins became an instant hit and was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar®. The film stars the incomparable Dame Julie Andrews, who won the 1965 Best Actress Academy Award for her film debut, and Dick Van Dyke as Bert, the dancing chimney sweep.
Songwriting brothers Richard and Robert Sherman (Bed Knobs and Broomsticks, The Jungle Book, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) received Oscars for Best Song (“Chim Chim Cher-ee”), and Best Score, which includes such unforgettable numbers as “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious,” “Sister Suffragette,” “The Life I Lead,” “The Perfect Nanny,” “A Spoonful of Sugar,” “Jolly Holiday,” “Stay Awake,” “I Love To Laugh,” “Feed the Birds,” “The Fidelity Fiduciary Bank,” “Step in Time” and “Let’s Go Fly a Kite.”
Based on the popular children’s stories by P.L. Travers, Mary Poppins has won the hearts of generations of kids and their parents with its enchanting tale of a magical nanny who changes the lives of two rowdy but neglected kids with determination, discipline and “Just a Spoonful of Sugar.” Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews) takes Jane and Michael Banks (Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber) on magical, musical outings including a play date with adorable animated penguins, a race through the country side on merry-go-round horses and a trip across the rooftops of London on a stairway made of smoke—and always gets them home in time for dinner! With her foolproof mixture of good manners and unpredictable fun, Mary not only introduces order to the chaotic Banks household, but brings the whole family together in the process.
- Mary Poppins from Page to Stage —First a beloved children’s book, then a classic movie and now a smash hit Broadway musical! Fans can follow the story of Mary Poppins from page to stage as the creative team and cast prepare to take the long running show on tour.
- Step in Time—The Broadway cast of Mary Poppins performs the never-before-filmed number “Step in Time” from the show.
- Step in Time – A downloadable MP3 featuring the Broadway cast of Mary Poppins singing “Step in Time,” featuring Ashley Brown as Mary Poppins and Gavin Lee as Bert.
- Video Intro By Scenic & Costume Designer, Bob Crowley
- Bob Crowley’s Design Galleries—Concept art, costume designs, set designs and set models for the Broadway musical
- Audio Commentary—Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, Karen Dotrice and Richard Sherman recall the making of Mary Poppins.
- Poppins Pop-Up Fun Facts—Select this option and fun-filled facts about the creation of this classic film pop up during viewing.
- Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious: The Making of Mary Poppins—The definitive behind-the- scenes look at how this unique and beloved film came into being.
- Movie Magic—A look at the special effect techniques used to bring the magical world of Mary Poppins to life.
- Dick Van Dyke Make-Up Test
- Trailers, Ads and More from the Original Release and Reissue of the Film