Parents, increasingly, are thinking up unique names for their children. An exotic association apart, there is at least one constructive advantage to this. An unusual name helps to confer exclusivity, helping the owner to stand out and be recognized more easily. Think about how easy it is to remember a ‘Terranova’ from a crowd of Marys and Janes.
However, choosing an unusual baby name requires some care. How can you choose a name that is distinctive, yet does not end up sounding ridiculous? Of course, you don’t want your child to be at the receiving end of all the Waynes and Dylans in his school. Here are a few tips:
- Check what’s out there. Start by looking up popular baby names listed in parenting books and websites. Along with the more familiar ones, you will also find some unusual baby names that you have rarely heard before, and that will catch your fancy.
- Old is gold. Many old names that were quite popular until recently have now fallen out of favor. Research names in historical archives or literature, or dig up some of the unusual names from your own family records.
- Read the glossies. Celebrity baby names are another good source for distinctive names. The advantage here will be that though the name will be unusual, it will have built up some level of familiarity and acceptability because of the media coverage. The disadvantage, of course, will be that the name may end up becoming too popular, thereby losing its novelty factor.
- Get the spelling right. Be careful about using an unusual baby name that is simply a popular name cached in a new spelling—such as ‘Jaysonne’ or ‘Jayesun.’ This will of course sound phony, considering that the pronunciation will remain plain old ‘Jason.’ More importantly, your child may even have to face ridicule from others on this account.
- Avoid strange combinations. Also, resist the temptation to create an unusual baby name by stringing together two or more names, such as ‘Branjelina’. Unless done sensibly, such a name will probably sound outlandish or gawky.
Use the GreatDad baby names widget to automatically generate unusual baby names.