Babies will sleep most of the time during their first few
months. At this time, they require all the sleep they can get, so parents need to resist the
temptation to wake them up and fondle or hug them. Your child needs the right amount of sound sleep
at this age to grow up strong and healthy. These are guidelines to help you ensure that your baby
enjoys good sleep:
- Make sure your baby is comfortable with the appropriate amount
of light or warm clothing as required.
- Keep your baby’s crib in a place that is not directly
exposed to bright lights, noise, or cold drafts of air.
- Ensure that your baby’s room is not
stuffy, but is well ventilated.
- If you are busy with household chores, keep checking at
appropriate intervals for any tell-tale signs that might suggest that your baby is not comfortable
or is about to wake up.
- You will get to know your baby’s sleep patterns with time. Make sure
your activities correspond with the baby’s sleep schedule.
- Put your baby back to sleep if he
or she wakes up suddenly in the middle of the night or at any time inconsistent with his sleep