Most parents depend on the services of a babysitter to fill in for them from time to time. Finding the right temporary helper might seem to be a daunting task but it is essential to get the right babysitter. After finding a competent and trustworthy person, always look for the following traits in a person for a babysitter’s job:
Characteristics of a Babysitter:
- Duty and Responsibility: Taking charge and being hands-on is extremely important in a babysitter’s job.
- Maturity: Understanding the needs of the child and enforcing discipline accordingly.
- Self confidence: Children can easily sense if something is amiss not just by the babysitter’s words, but also by their attitude.
- Adaptability: The lifestyle of the family needs to be kept in mind by the babysitter and they should adjust accordingly.
Expectations from Babysitter Jobs:
- Knowledge about children: Obviously, the right babysitter should have basic skills in feeding, changing diapers, dressing, and bathing.
- Ability to handle the baby or child outside the home, on walks or trips to the playground.
- Safety and Emergency procedures: To contact parents during times of emergencies and to have some knowledge of first aid to be taken.
It is essential for you to provide all the information regarding your child habits and his/her routine to the babysitter. Often it is best to give a to-do list to the babysitter to ensure that the routine of the child is maintained.