As your baby grows older, he will become more active. He will move around more and explore his world. Keep him safe as he grows and learns. Here are some dangers to watch out for:
- Never leave your baby alone in a bath for even a few seconds. Never leave your baby alone near any pool of water or even a bucket of water, no matter how shallow it is.
- Never leave your baby alone on a high place, like a tabletop.
- Never leave your baby alone in a crib with the sides down. If he does ever fall and begins to act strangely in any way, call the doctor right away.
- Never smoke around your baby. Be careful when you eat or drink hot fluids while holding your baby.
- Never give food to your baby that can make him choke. Foods should be soft and runny. They should be ground up or soft, so that your baby can swallow them without chewing. Some babies become constipated when they start to eat different foods at this age. If this happens to your baby, call your doctor.
- Older brothers and sisters may be jealous of the baby. They may try to hit, poke or squeeze him. They may not like it that you spend a lot of time with your baby. Talk to them about it. Let them know that you love them, too.
- Watch your baby when he plays with older children. By mistake, they may give your baby something harmful to play with, or they may be too rough with your baby.
- Make sure that your baby doesn’t grab objects that could hurt him.
- Put plugs in all open electrical outlets.
- Never leave your baby alone with a pet, even if the pet appears to be
This content has been provided freely by CMC. Click Healthy Start, Grow Smart—Your-Five-Month-Old for your free download. Click GreatDad Free Ebook to download the entire Health Start, Grow Smart series.
Note: For info on sex after delivery, subscribe now to the GreatDad newsletter for new dads.