How I talk:
- I like to watch other people make sounds. I try to make new
sounds on my own.
- I may say sounds like “ah-ah-ah,” “ee-ee-ee” and “oo-oo-oo.”
- I may babble to get attention.
How I grow:
- I can sit with support.
- I explore my world with my eyes, fingers and mouth.
- I reach for things when I see them and am able to grasp them.
- When I’m lying down on my tummy, I can push myself up with my
arms. At the same time, I can turn my head to look around.
- When I’m lying on my back, I may touch my feet and may play with
- If you hold me under my arms, I like to stand and move my body
up and down.
What I understand:
- I know my name when someone says it.
- I can tell the difference between strangers and family.
- I know familiar objects like my toys.
- ]I am discovering parts of my body.
How I respond:
- I like to watch other people’s faces.
- I like to smile and talk to myself when I’m looking in the mirror.
- I smile and make noises when I see a person.
- I may stop crying when someone talks to me calmly and softly.
- I may cry when someone leaves or when someone takes an object
away from me.
This content has been provided freely by CMC. Click Healthy Start, Grow Smart—Your Five-Month-Old for your free download. Click GreatDad Free Ebook to download the entire Health Start, Grow Smart series.
Note: For info on sex after delivery, subscribe now to the GreatDad newsletter for new dads.