In these tough economic times, many families have had to cut back and live more frugally. Luxuries like gym memberships, dinners out, outings to museums and sporting events and even date nights have hit the chopping block for many fathers. But experts say finances shouldn't keep couples from spending quality time together.
"They're not avoiding dating anymore because of money, they're just doing some clever and some inventive things," author of Man Plan Whitney Casey recently told Bankrate.com.
Dads don't have to spend a lot for a memorable night out. Experts offer several ideas for cheap dates, including:
1. Exercise together. Try a hike, a run or even play a game of tennis.
2. Have a picnic. Find a romantic spot (your living room works, too!) and enjoy a meal together.
3. Opt for takeout and a movie at home. Ordering takeout can save a considerable amount of money (no tip or drinks included). Rent a DVD or watch another favorite movie or show together.
4. Search for free or discounted events. Festivals, lectures and other community events are often free. Museums and other destinations often have discounted rates at certain times as well.
5. Have a game night. Get out the board games or cards and spend some quality time in competition together.
The biggest financial obstacle when it comes to dating for many dads on a budget is paying for a babysitter. Frugal fathers may consider swapping babysitting duty with another couple or even asking a family member to watch their kids, free of charge.