Teaching table manners to toddlers may seem like a futile
endeavor when you can’t even get them to sit still at the table. However, it has been observed that
spoons and forks tend to give toddlers a ‘handle’ on the situation and eventually orient their
attention properly towards their meals.
The introduction of table manners at an early age is
essential and the implements with which you introduce your children to a proper eating experience
will go a long way in making it all possible. So start off by buying the right kind of cutlery.
Make sure to buy:
- tableware that is light-weight with a cushioned
- multicolored forks and spoons with stickers.
- forks and spoons with round corners that don’t hurt your child.
Here are the steps to
introduce toddlers to spoons and forks:
- Introduce forks and spoons at the beginning
of each meal.
- Show them how to hold the spoon and fork and follow through by eating your
meal with relish.
- Show toddlers that it’s a ‘grown-up thing’ to do—allow them to serve and
feed themselves with their brand new cutlery.
- Whenever they put their hands directly into
food, simply hand them a spoon.
When your toddlers sit quietly with a spoon, finishing
their meals, don’t forget to praise them for good behavior.