Conception depends on the successful completion of three processes: ovulation, fertilization of the egg by the sperm, and division of the fertilized egg after which it attaches itself to the uterus.
These are things couples can do to ensure a successful conception:
- Have a general health checkup: Couples who are trying to conceive should undergo a routine medical examination to ascertain if they are in good physical health.
- Maintain an exercise routine: Regular exercise helps couples planning a baby, to stay healthy. It increases their ability to relax, promote sound sleep, and fight physical and mental stress. This will increase their chances of conceiving a baby.
- Eat well: Having a balanced diet, that will provide them with all the essential nutrients they require, is important for couples to conceive a baby.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol: Alcohol or smoking can interfere with healthy sperm production and hamper successful conception.
- Tracking the woman’s menstrual cycle: This will help couples to time sexual intercourse to coincide with ovulation. Having sex during this time is important for successful conception to occur.