The arrival of a new baby requires planning and preparation. If you already have other children, you will need to prepare them in advance to expect the new addition to your family. This is important to prevent them from experiencing feelings of jealousy because of the newborn baby.
- Here are some ways you can help prepare your children for the arrival of the new baby:Inform older children in advance, early on during the pregnancy.
- Give children an idea about the date of the baby’s arrival by using some other event with which they may be familiar. For instance, you can tell them that the baby will be arriving around Christmas time.
- Tell children about the pregnancy in a way that is consistent with the concept of pregnancy or childbirth they may have already gathered earlier.
- When answering their queries, give them only details they want to know. You can ask questions to find out exactly what it is that they want to know.
- Involve older children in preparing for the coming of the baby. For instance, you can let them pick some of the things you require, while shopping for the baby. This way they will be less likely to feel jealous later on.
- Take older children along when your spouse has her prenatal appointments with the doctor.