Welcome Back!

User Name
Not Registered?

Tell us a little about yourself.

My child’s birthday is (for newsletter customization):

Enter an email address:

This is where your newsletters will be delivered to and where GreatDad.com will contact you with your new account information.

father's forum

A place to discuss, learn and share ideas, thoughts and solutions.
Latest Posts

Hoe u een vergeten Yahoo M...
Posts: 1 Views: 75

Telefoonnummer google
Posts: 1 Views: 28

Len Meyer
Posts: 1 Views: 44

Vein specialist city centr...
Posts: 1 Views: 121

Vein doctor near me san jo...
Posts: 1 Views: 74

hi mom!

Would you like to share this site with your husband or a friend?

Just enter his email address and your name below and we'll let him know all about GreatDad.com.

His email address
Your Name

Symptoms of Depression

Author GreatDad Writers
Submitted 08-01-2007

The symptoms of depression vary greatly in children. Your child might cry often, is sad for long periods of time, or does not seem to enjoy playing. Or, he could be angry, petulant, rebellious, and surly most of the time. Depression also causes drastic mood changes.

Your child will find it difficult to befriend people, and have trouble socializing with other kids. He may be listless, disinterested, aloof, and unable to concentrate. Kids with depression often have low self-esteem, and come across as pessimistic. They suffer from undue guilt, and despair. Their performance in school goes down. They also complain of other physical conditions like headaches, stomachache, and have trouble sleeping and eating.

Depression often is associated with other conditions such as attention deficit disorder, anxiety, behavior disorders, eating disorders, and substance abuse.

If these symptoms persist for a long time (for weeks, months, or even a year), or if these symptoms affect your child’s ability to function properly at home or outside, then you need to enlist help. Consult your kid’s doctor, and figure out what is the cause of depression. Your child’s doctor will refer a qualified psychiatrist, child psychologist, or a trained licensed mental health practitioner.