Here are simple substitutions for some harmful additives:
- Organic choices. Look for biscuits, crackers and cookies in the organic or health food section, or try making your own if you have the time. Still read labels in this section, however, as many so-called organic foods contain MSG
- Make your own peanut and other nut butters. Simply put peanuts, almonds or cashews in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, adding a little canola oil as needed. Add salt to taste
- Buy cheeses with no added color. String cheese is a great snack food
- Buy plain, unsweetened yogurt, and add fresh or frozen fruit and a bit of sugar
- Think dried fruit. It’s a much healthier snack than fruit snacks, which often have no fruit in them whatsoever.