If you find lice or nits on your children,
- Use an anti – lice shampoo, such as Nix or Rid, and follow the package directions carefully
- In general, you should apply it to washed and dried hair
- Apply the shampoo until the hair and scalp is saturated and thoroughly wet
- Leave the shampoo on for ten minutes and then rinse it out
- Consider using a second shampoo treatment in 7-10 days to kill newly hatched lice
A prescription shampoo, Ovide (malathion), may be needed for resistant lice. It is lathered into dry hair and left on overnight. It should not be used in newborns or infants, and be careful, because it is flammable!