Welcome Back!

User Name
Not Registered?

Tell us a little about yourself.

My child’s birthday is (for newsletter customization):

Enter an email address:

This is where your newsletters will be delivered to and where GreatDad.com will contact you with your new account information.

father's forum

A place to discuss, learn and share ideas, thoughts and solutions.
Latest Posts

Vein specialist city centr...
Posts: 1 Views: 76

Vein doctor near me san jo...
Posts: 1 Views: 28

Vein doctor near me housto...
Posts: 1 Views: 24

Vein specialist near me wo...
Posts: 1 Views: 28

Vein treatment near me li
Posts: 1 Views: 34

hi mom!

Would you like to share this site with your husband or a friend?

Just enter his email address and your name below and we'll let him know all about GreatDad.com.

His email address
Your Name

Watch out for poisoning

Author GreatDad Writers
Submitted 10-04-2007

With toddlers in your home, poisoning is another potential danger you have to come to grips with. Their curiosity might induce them to ingest, or come in contact with, toxic substances that could be harmful to them.

You will be surprised to know that just about anything can be poisonous to your toddlers.
Here is a simple checklist:

  • Aspirin
  • Lye
  • Drain cleaning solvents
  • Cosmetics
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Moth balls
  • Bleach
  • Washing and cleaning liquids, soap bars, powders, etc.

To make your children aware of the dangers of ingesting unknown things, there are some simple thumb rules:

  • Never call medicines or any bright-colored, small pellet, lozenge, etc. candy.
  • Keep dangerous things out of your toddlers’ reach; take into account the fact that they are adventurous explorers and terrific climbers.
  • Make use of child-resistant locks, packages, etc. to stock the most dangerous things.

If any untoward incident were to happen, here are some signs that you need help:

  • Your toddlers have difficulty breathing.
  • They complain of severe throat pain or burning sensations
  • You spot burns on their lips or mouth.
  • Your children are experiencing convulsions, falling unconscious or are extremely sleepy.

In such a case, instant and immediate action could save your child. Always remember:

  • Never try to induce vomiting. If a strong acidic substance has been ingested, throwing it up could further injure children by burning their throat and mouth
  • In an emergency, call the American Association of Poison Control Centers at (800) 222-1222. You will be redirected to your local poison control center.