- Make sure that the babysitter knows infant/child CPR and Rescue Breathing.
- Remind the babysitter that infants should definitely not be placed on an adult bed of any kind.
- Remind the babysitter that the baby should be placed on her/his back to sleep.
- Make sure that the babysitter knows the signs of illness in an infant including: changes in skin color, sweating, nausea or vomiting, and diarrhea.
- The babysitter must know where the fire extinguishers are kept, and explain how they are used.
- Be sure to show the babysitter where the first aid supplies are kept.
- Remind the babysitter to keep all balloons or plastic items away from the baby.
- Instruct the babysitter that children should never be unsupervised in the bathtub. He/she should take them with him/her if they must answer the telephone or the door bell.
- Remind the babysitter to keep the bathroom door closed, and the toilet seat and lid down when not in use.
Familiarity with your House:
- Before leaving, be sure to give the babysitter a tour of the house.
- Ensure that all windows have been closed, and that the babysitter knows to keep them closed.
- Show the babysitter how to operate your child safety gates, and indicate where they need to be kept.
- Also show the babysitter where the flashlights are located.
- Make sure that you have put away all sharp items including scissors, knives, and any other objects that can cause injury.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.