This is an in-between stage in your spouse’s pregnancy, when she might not even look like she is pregnant. However, there are various things happening simultaneously inside her body.
These are some of the physical changes that her body will go through during the next couple of weeks:
- Expanding belly: Sometime between 15 to 20 weeks, your spouse’s pregnancy will begin to ‘show.’ The exact period when this happens varies between women. If this is her first pregnancy, this may happen a little later for her than for women who are in their subsequent pregnancies.
- Abdominal pain: The enlarging of the uterus can lead to discomfort and pain in her abdomen. Remember also that organs within your spouse’s stomach and abdomen are literally moving to make room for the baby. These shifts and changes often happen while she is sleeping. Any sudden movements on her part may also trigger the pain. Encourage her to rise out of bed slowly. The application of heat on her belly may also help to ease the pain.
- Leaking nipples: Around this time, your spouse may notice that her nipples are leaking a yellowish liquid. This is actually Colostrum, a substance that is full of antibodies, and that will help your baby fight diseases. Colostrum is in fact far superior to the milk she will have after childbirth. It is richer in protein and lower in fats and sugar.
- Bleeding from the nose: Your spouse experiences nose bleeds due to the increased blood flow that she experiences during her pregnancy. A humidifier may help by increasing the moisture levels in the air around her.
- Changes in hair growth: Hormonal changes in your spouse’s body will affect her rate of hair growth. She may notice increased growth, or changes in its texture, etc.
- Skin discoloration: Pregnancy may cause red marks to appear on your spouse’s face and chest. Called spider angiomas, these are caused by the hormonal disturbances occurring inside her body. You may also notice some patches of discolored skin around her face, which are known as chloasma.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.