The following tips may help you minimize the negative and maximize the positive effects of television watching for your little ones:
- Hold off introducing television even videos to your toddlers as long as possible.
- If you decide to allow TV before your children turn two, choose programming carefully, limit viewing time and skip days when possible
- Set a goal, such as no more than 30 minutes or an hour per day, or one favorite show, so that you’ll not be tempted to turn the TV on too frequently
- Watch programs yourself before you allow your toddlers to watch them. You will be amazed to discover that many programs aimed at children contain violence or topics that are inappropriate for your child
- Pay attention to commercials. Surprisingly, an excellent children’s show will sometimes feature commercials depicting the exact things you don’t want your little ones to see!