For some parents, getting their children to sleep is no problem at all. For others, it invariably involves a major struggle. Here are some easy tips on putting your kids to bed:
- The first step to ensuring that your children take to their bed without much fuss is to establish a bedtime routine. When children sleep at the same time everyday, their body adapts to the cycle and they fall asleep easily.
- It helps to restrict activities that are physically or mentally stimulating, such as watching a television or computer screen or indulging in physical play, at least a couple of hours before bedtime. More sedate activities such as reading, drawing, or playing with stuffed toys are fine.
- It is a good idea to get your child in the mood for sleep by telling a bedtime story, or putting on some soft music. Besides helping them unwind, such activities form an association with bedtime in children’s minds, and help them to anticipate sleep.
- Take steps to make your child comfortable during the night. You may keep a favorite stuffed toy or object alongside to comfort your child.
- Ensure that your child’s clothes are comfortable—not too tight, and neither too hot or too cold.
- Once you have tucked your child in bed, leave the room. Let your child learn to settle down and fall asleep without depending on your presence to be able to do so.