There are a number of reasons why parents select the baby names they do. It could be because they admire someone who has the same name. It could also be because a name is popular at a given time. On the other hand, an unusual baby name may be chosen precisely because it has novelty value. Sometimes, parents may even pick a baby name simply because they like its ‘sound’.
Baby name meanings, thus, are not always the primary consideration while selecting a baby name. Having said so, it is important to realize that most baby name meanings also have a definite historic or cultural meaning and significance. Here is a list of some popularly chosen baby name meanings.
- Andrew is a Biblical name, which means ‘brave’ or ‘courageous.’ Andrew is also the name of the first apostle.
- Anna is a Native American name that stands for ‘mother.’
- Christopher is Latin for ‘one who bears Christ in his heart.’ According to an ancient belief, Saint Christopher carried the infant Christ across a river.
- Daniel is a name meaning ‘God is my judge.’ It is also the name of the prophet from the Old Testament.
- David in Hebrew stands for ‘beloved.’ According to the Old Testament, David was a king of Israel.
- Elizabeth stands for ‘oath of God.’ In the Bible, it is the name of the mother of John the Baptist.
- Ethan is a Biblical name that occurs in the Old Testament. It stands for ‘strong,’ ‘constant,’ or ‘enduring.’
- Grace means ‘God’s favor.’
- Isabella is a Hebrew name that means ‘devoted to God.’
- John stands for ‘mercy of the Lord.’ John the Baptist and John the apostle are two Biblical instances of the name.
- Michael is a Biblical name that stands for ‘one who is like God.’
- Natalie is a Latin name that stands for ‘born at Christmas.’
- Samantha is the female version of Samuel. It can be translated as ‘listener.’
- Sarah is a Biblical name that means ‘princess.’ In the Bible, Sarah was Abraham’s wife.
- Sophia is a Greek name meaning ‘wise.’
- Victoria stands for ‘victorious.’ It was the name of a Roman goddess.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.